DIY

Patriotic Mason Jar Lanterns

6:00:00 AM

Alright guys, what better way to kick off Memorial Day Weekend than with a craft that can be used right now! AND on the Fourth of July. And honestly, if you're anything like our family, we're pretty patriotic all year round, but especially in the summer. So these bad boys will be used quite a bit! I've been wanting to do these for a while, so one day I got up and just decided I would try it out for myself! First things first... to the craft store.

Shopping List:
3 Mason Jars (or more if you would like!)
Painter's Tape (or something similar)
Star Stickers
Circle Stickers (or something similar)
Red, White, and Blue Chalk Finish Paint
Foam Brushes
Tealight Candles

To learn more about the process, see my latest DIY post to see pictures of what I have used and a little more detail about these type of projects! 
Let's jump right in!
As mentioned in my previous posts, I use old shoe boxes to keep from making a mess. I used two separate shoe box lids for this project, with the two striped jars in one and the star jar in the other. 

I started with my star jar and began to stick on a few star stickers. Be sure not to put them too close together or too many of them, because you'll need room for the white stars! After these are stuck on, you can do your first coat of white! ONE HOUR later (no earlier), do your second coat and let it dry.
After your white has dried, begin sticking on more stickers. My sticker sheet had all different sizes, so I used the bigger stickers for the white. Put as many as you wish and then you're ready to start painting again. Grab your blue chalk finish paint and do your first coat! Wait 1 hour, and do your second coat.
After you're done painting, grab some tweezers and start pulling off the stickers! **They most likely will NOT come off perfectly. Those stars may look a bit interesting, but it's fixable! Once you pull your stickers off, it should like somewhat like this. Now to do a little damage control, grab an old pen or pencil and dip it in white or blue (whichever is needed) and reshape the stars. Your star jar is now complete!
So... I forgot to take the first picture of the stripe jars. What you missed was placing the small circle stickers on the jars. (I actually didn't have any small circle stickers, so I had to get creative. You know the "to:, from:" stickers you put on gifts.. well I grabbed a few of those and a hole puncher. Worked just fine!) I stuck those all over the jar, painted the first white coat, let it dry one hour, painted a second coat and let it dry as well. Now you're all caught up :)

For this part I was supposed to use painters tape for stripes. But yet again.. I was a little unprepared. I used athletic tape and thankfully, it worked just fine as well. After the tape was in place, I did two coats of red (with an hour wait in between) and let it dry. I grabbed my tweezers again and removed the tape and stars, and then touched them up using a pen dipped in paint and they were good to go! Stripe jars, complete.


You can go with or without the rims, but make sure you keep them open! Because the last step is to place a tealight candle inside and let it illuminate the jar through the little holes we made. I know you and your family will get some good use out of these this summer, starting with THIS
 WEEKEND. Don't forget to pin an image and save it to your DIY pinterest board :)

Happy Memorial Day Weekend, ya'll!

xoxo
Bailey

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.